Tuesday, April 22, 2008

OutDoor Sketching

Here's todays story. There I am sitting outside one of my favorite diners in the neighborhood. It's one of the first days where the temperature is above 30 degrees. My sketch book is on my lap and I'm just sort of doodling. You know how sometimes when you sketch your not working on any one thing. You just do that stream of consciousness thin. Well that was me on this fine and lovely day. Well anyway I'm just putting the pen to some blue line when I notice a shadow over my left shoulder. I do what I always do and ignore it thinking that the person will go away. (this never works by the way.) After about 3 or 4 minutes the person leaned in close enough that I could smell the onions from their chicken wrap lunch. With out even a greeting these words emerge from their mouth. "Did you draw that?"


How am I meant to reply? I mean they stood there and watched me finish the blue line and start to put ink to it. It's like walking over to some one and asking "is that your underwear". Or maybe asking "is that your left earlobe". And this is not the first time I have had some one watch me draw some thing and then ask me "Did you draw that?". It's some times like they think it's a joke or that they are not quite sure what they just saw. Maybe There was a rip in the space time continuum and the drawing just flew out of my butt. Maybe I will never find the answer to why people ask me the same stupid question over and over again. Crack smoking twitch monkeys.